Poppy seed is an oilseed obtained from the poppy (Papaver somniferum). The tiny kidney-shaped seeds have been harvested from dried seed pods by various civilizations for thousands of years. It is still widely used in many countries, especially in Central Europe, including the Czech Republic, where it is legally grown and sold in shops.
- Poppy seeds contain many plant-derived chemical compounds that found to have antioxidant, disease preventing and health promoting properties.
- Their unique nutty aromatic flavor is because of many fatty acids and essential volatile oils, which comprise about 50% of net weight. The seeds are especially rich in oleic and linoleic Oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated fatty acid, helps lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increase HDL or “good cholesterol” levels in the blood.
- Research studies suggest that Mediterranean diet which is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids helps to prevent coronary artery disease and strokes by favoring healthy blood lipid profile.
- Poppy seeds outer husk is a good source of dietary fiber. 100 g raw seeds provide 19.5 g or 51% of recommended daily levels (RDA) of fiber. Much of this fiber is metabolically inert content which helps increase the bulk of the food by absorbing water down the digestive tract and thereby easing constipation problem.
- Additionally, dietary fiber binds to bile salts (a product of cholesterol) and decrease their reabsorption in the colon. It thus helps in a further decrease in blood LDL cholesterol levels.
- The seeds are excellent source B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, riboflavin, niacin, and folic acid. Many of these vitamins functions as co-factors in the substrate metabolism, especially fat and carbohydrates inside the human body.
- Poppy seeds contain good levels of minerals like iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zincand magnesium. Copper utilized in the production of red blood cells. Zinc is a co-factor in many enzymes that regulate growth and development, sperm generation, digestion and nucleic acid synthesis.
- Potassiumis an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. The human body uses manganese as a cofactor for the important antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase.
- Dry poppy seeds contain very small levels of opium alkaloids such as morphine, thebaine, codiene, papaverine, etc. When consumed in food, these compounds produce a minimal effect on the human nervous system. On the contrary, these chemicals found to have some beneficial effects on the human body; soothe nervous irritability, act as painkillers. Its seed extractions found useful in the pharmacy and many traditional medicines in the preparations of cough mixtures, expectorants, etc.
FOR BETTER FUTURE
By keeping our ingredients natural, we’re working with, not against, Mother Nature. We follow strict quality assurance guidelines, so our customers know their supply is healthy and safe. We hold ourselves accountable to do right by people and the planet. We strive to use our leadership, expertise and knowledge to embrace giving to – not just taking – from Earth.
Our Czech produced blue poppy seeds have a high purity level complying with the EU norms for the human consumption.
PLACE OF ORIGIN & DELIVERY TERMS
We delivering our products on DAP and DDP terms from the Czechia worldwide and handle orders of every size, including: rail cars, trucks and containers, big-bags, and pallets.
Artur KashapovSales Manager
CALL OR E-MAIL ME TO LEARN MORE
Let’s discuss your grain-based food needs, learn about package sizes, or inquire about other services like custom blends. Use the form below or call +420 226 208 232